Vanilla Pound Cake
Servings: 16–18 Slices
Image may be subject to copyright. Credit: King Arthur Flour.
Pound cake is a wonderful invention. I can consume it 24/7. In terms of human evolution, I would rate its importance next to the wheel.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 240 gr. (2 cups) all-purpose Ceresota flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 227 gr. (2 sticks) unsalted butter1 – room temperature
- 220 gr. (1 cup) white sugar – granulated
- 227 gr. (4 large eggs) – room temperature
- 1/2 (113 gr.) cup milk
- 28 gr. (1 tblsp.) brandy, sherry, rum, or the liqueur of your choice, optional
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
1 1 cup or 16 tablespoons
Image may be subject to copyright. Credit: Sweet Anna’s *
* For homemade extract, visit Sweet Anna's at http://arthomas.blogspot.com/search/label/recipes
Instructions – Overview
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Beat butter until creamy & very light (Setting #6) – 3 minutes
- Gradually add sugar – medium speed (Setting #6) for 2 to 3 minutes until fluffy
- Add 1 egg at a time until blended, blending at medium speed (Setting #6) for 3 to 5 minutes until fluffy
- Mix flour, baking powder & salt
- Mix together milk, (alcohol) & extracts
- Add Flour, Milk, Flour, Milk … Flour
- Blend at medium speed (Setting #6) for 3 to 5 minutes until fluffy
- Grease 9 x 5 pan and cover with flour – shake excess
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes1
- Cool in pan for 10 – remove cool on wire rack
1 Covered at 30 minutes. Baked at 350°F for 50 minutes.
Instructions – Details
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Butter grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until very light.
- Beat in the sugar gradually and then the eggs, one by one. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and beat until the mixture is very light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the milk, alcohol of your choice, and extract.
- Alternately add the wet and dry ingredients to the butter/sugar/egg mixture, starting and ending with the flour. Stir to combine after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake the cake for 60 to 65 minutes, until it springs back when pressed lightly in on top, and a long toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. If the cake appears to be browning too quickly, tent it with foil for the final 15 minutes of baking.1
- Remove the cake from the oven and loosen its edges. Wait 5 minutes, then carefully turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Store, wrapped in plastic, for a day or two before serving. Wrap well and freeze for longer storage.
1 Covered with foil at 30 minutes. Total baking time 50 minutes
Image may be subject to copyright. Source unknown.
All material, information and images are © 2015 - 2023 Christoph G. Olesch, unless otherwise noted, and may not be reproduced without permission. Certain content, material, information and images may be subject to copyrights by their respective owners, as indicated, and may not be reproduced without written agreement. All rights reserved.