Chocolate Cream Pie
Image may be subject to copyright. Original Source unknown.
My daughter in Florida and I made this chocolate cream pie our February project. We challenge ourselves and exchange progress and outcome notes. It turned out exquisitely. Thank you Rose Levy Beranbaum. There was an error in the instructions. We both caught it and made adjustments, which are noted.
Waiting 3 hours for it to cool in the refrigerator was excruciating. But we survived and the first piece was bliss.
Creamy Pie Crust
- 128 gr. (9 tblsp.) butter ― unsalted
- 214 gr. all-purpose flour
- 3 gr. (1/4 tsp.) salt
- 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 82 gr. (5 tblsp. + 2 tsp.) heavy cream
- 2 eggs ― large
- 24 gr. (1/4 cup) cocoa ― unsweetened, Dutch-processed
- 28 gr. (3 tblsp.) cornstarch
- 726 gr. (3 cups) milk ― divided
- 132 gr. (2/3 cups) sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 170 gr. (6 oz.) bittersweet chocolate ― grated
- 28 gr. (2 tblsp.) butter ― unsalted
- 4 gr. (1 tsp.) vanilla extract ― pure
- 232 gr. (1 cup) heavy cream
- 5 gr. (1 tblsp.) sugar
- 4 gr. (1 tsp.) vanilla extract ― pure
Optional Topping: Chocolate Curls Garnish
- Blend flour, baking powder and salt in food processor;
- Grate ice cold butter into flour and pulse until mixture is crumbly – small peas sized butter is dispersed;
- Add 6 tblsp. of ice cold heavy cream; pulse until moist clumps form;
- Gather dough together. Turn dough out onto floured work surface;
- Form dough into ball and flatten into a 6" disk;
- Wrap disk in plastic and seal tightly. Refrigerate at least 1 hour;
- Soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out;
- Roll pie crust into a 13" diameter and place into pie dish;
Prebake the Crust
- Preheat oven to 425°F for minimum 20 minutes;
- Dock the bottom and sides of the pie crust. Lay parchment paper on crust and fill with pie weights;1
- Bake on lowest oven rack at 375°F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven;
- Remove parchment and pie weights and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes on middle rack ― until golden brown;
- Remove pie crust from oven and let cool ― 30 minutes.
1 I used raw rice.
- On the side, have ready a medium bowl and fine strainer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, cocoa, cornstarch and 1/4 cup of milk;1
- In a separate pot, combine remaining 2-3/4 cups2 of milk, sugar & salt;
- Over medium heat, bring milk mixture to boil;
- Whisk 1/4 cup of hot milk mixture into the chocolate egg mixture;
- Whisk the egg mixture into the hot milk mixture;
- Cook filling and continuing to whisk rapidly until mixture thickens and pools a little when dropped on a plate surface;
- Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate and butter;
- Whisk until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth;
- Whisk in vanilla extract;
- With a rubber spatula or large spoon, immediately press the chocolate mixture through the fine strainer;
- Immediately place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the chocolate filling to prevent a skin from forming;
- Allow to cool slightly at room temperature ― 10 minutes;
- Refrigerate the filling until cold ― approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes;
- Pour the chocolate filling into the baked pie shell;
- Place a piece of greased plastic wrap directly onto the filling surface and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
1 After the initial whisking, I then carefully blend with a hand mixer.
2 Beranbaum’s The Pie & Pastry Bible instructions state 3-3/4 cups. I believe this is in error because the recipe only calls for a total of 3 cups of milk.
- In a chilled bowl, combine heavy cream and sugar and beat until soft peaks form when the beater is slowly raised;
- Add vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks form when beat is raised;
- Remove plastic wrap from pie and mound the topping evenly atop the chocolate filling.
Add Optional Toppings: chocolate curls and raspberries on top of whipped cream.
Refrigerate up to 3 days in refrigerator ― without the topping, unless it has been stabilized with Cobasan.
Source: The Pie & Pastry Bible ― Rose Levy Beranbaum
All material, information and images are © 2015 - 2023 Christoph G. Olesch, unless otherwise noted, and may not be reproduced without permission. Certain content, material, information and images may be subject to copyrights by their respective owners, as indicated, and may not be reproduced without written agreement. All rights reserved.