Christoph's™ Espresso | Cacao Ice Cream
An Espresso & Dutch Processed Cacao Ice Cream Dessert
Yield: 1.5 Quarts / 8-10 Servings
|Image may be subject to copyrights. Source unknown.|
When I grew up and had my first cone of coffee ice cream, I died and drifted to live in the stratosphere for some time. Still today, it is one of my favorite flavors. When my compulsive disorder to make ice creams kicked in, this coffee/cacao recipe was my first attempt. I think it turned out well. This recipe is not definitive, and I will continue to experiment with different milk-cream ratios and various sugars.
I'm not a fan of making egg custards; but that's my problem. Many ice creams I make have taken the Sicilian approach -- using starches to achieve texture, emulsification and smoothness.
I think you will enjoy this recipe, but experiment. Fine tune it to your hearts content.
- Whole Milk – 300 gr. (10.6 oz.)
- Heavy Cream – 600 gr. (21.2 oz.)
- Sugar – 197 gr. (7 oz.)
- Espresso Powder – 15 gr. (2 tblsp. / 0.53 oz.)
- Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder – 15 gr. (2 tblsp. / 0.53 oz.)
- Optional: Vanilla Extract – 6.5 gr. (1 tsp. / 0.23 oz.)
- Optional: 2 tblsp. Cornstarch
Add optional cornstarch for additional egg yolk type creaminess.
- Whisk or mix together the milk, sugar, espresso powder, and cocoa till the sugar has dissolved – optional: cornstarch;
- Stir in the heavy cream;
- Cool the ice cream base in refrigerator for 4 hours;
- Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Processed in Cuisinart ICE-70 @ 25 minutes. Experiment: 35 minutes.
This should result in a soft-serve consistency.
- Yield – Approximately 8 (6 oz.) to 10 (4.8 oz.) servings
- For firmer ice cream, place in a covered container. Place in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours, or until ice cream is as hard as you like it.
All material, information and images are © 2015 - 2023 Christoph G. Olesch, unless otherwise noted, and may not be reproduced without permission. Certain content, material, information and images may be subject to copyrights by their respective owners, as indicated, and may not be reproduced without written agreement. All rights reserved.
Comments & Tips