Pulled Pork & Spaetzle
Making a quick lunch or dinner at times is easy with some leftovers. Whenever I make pulled pork, I always reserve about 1/3 of it unpulled. This allows me to get a little creative with future meals. I will cut the the pieces into meal portions and vacuum pac them to be stored in the freezer. With a proper and unbroken seal, it will keep without loss of flavor or texture for 6 months.
You can then let thaw in the refrigerator, still sealed, and prepare it Sous Vide or, what I do, simply slice it very thin (1/16"). The spices used to make the pulled pork come through — nice and bold.
Image Copyright. Christoph G. Olesch
- Portions of pork roast 1
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 tsp. of bouillon base 2
- 1 tsp. flour or corn starch
- 4 oz. per serving (or more if desired) of German egg noodle Spaezle 3
1 Thinly sliced approximately 1/16" thick
2 If not using bouillon, use 1/2 cup of chicken broth, salted to taste.
3 Brand: Bechtle. If prefered, use previously made homemade Spaetzle. Recipe.
Image credit: Subject to copyright. Summit Hill Foods.
- Thinly slice (1/16") the already cooked pork roast;
- In a 12" pan, add cold water, bouillon and flour or corn starch;
- Thoroughly blend and cook on medium heat until slightly thickened;
- Add sliced pork roast and continue to cook on low heat, stirring occasionaly.
- Prepare Spaetzle per instructions.
- Cook in salted water until done — approximately 15 minutes.
- Drain Spaetzle and place on plate;
- Top with Sliced pork roast and gravy;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add (1 tblsp. per serving) finely chopped green onions or fresh parsley, if desired.
If not using Commercially prepared Spaetzle, make your own. Recipe
These German egg noodles or Spaetzle are very good. They are available in most grocery stores.
All material, information and images are © 2015 - 2023 Christoph G. Olesch, unless otherwise noted, and may not be reproduced without permission. Certain content, material, information and images may be subject to copyrights by their respective owners, as indicated, and may not be reproduced without written agreement. All rights reserved.